Sunday, October 07, 2012

Steven Wilson: "Luminol" (live)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Exactly a month ago, I wrote a post on Steven Wilson, my beloved Porcupine Tree's founder, lead singer, multi-instrumentalist, and songwriter, and also, among other things, one half of the wonderful Blackfield (with Israeli star Aviv Geffen), one half of No-Man (with singer Tim Bowness), and one half of Storm Corrosion (with Swedish progressive metal rocker Mikael ƅkerfeldt) -- and now also a solo artist with two great albums that rival the best of Porcupine Tree: Insurgentes (2008) and Grace for Drowning (2011).

The post included 1) the video for "Harmony Korine"; 2) a live performance of that song taken from the Get All You Deserve live DVD/Blu-ray, performed in Mexico City, at the Teatro MetropĆ³litan, on the Grace for Drowning tour; 3) the video for "Index"; and 4) the trailer for Get All You Deserve.

I noted that I was really, really excited for Get All You Deserve, set to be released on September 24.

Update: It's awesome. Simply... fucking... awesome.

For example... "Luminol." (Which might even appeal to a certain Richard K. Barry, what with its prominent sax and experimental jazz sound. Yes, there's even a flute.)

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Simply fucking awesome is about right. They remind me of Oregon, but in a listenable form. Or perhaps King Crimson, but far better. Wilson reminds me of Joe Satriani but with more blues influence. (Satriani can get a little intellectual, if you know what I mean.) The song itself sounds like early (Meddle) Pink Floyd.

    Thanks for this. I've been listing to almost nothing other than French popular music the last couple of months. I needed something to break me out. This is really great.

    By Anonymous Frankly Curious, at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home