Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Lighting the "vote"ve candle

By Carl

Well, I've done my civic duty this morning, and a couple of observations came up.

Here in NYC, the turnout is already heavy. Polls opened at 6AM, as usual. When I vote (and I do, religiously), I am usually there a little after seven.

In a general election, I might be voter number 4 in my election district. In primaries, even in Presidential primaries, I'm usually the second voter.

Today, I was number 11! There's going to be a massive vote from the city, which may or may not favor Obama (my district is pretty white, but it's also got a lot of artists, so exit polling would be skewed).

The weather is not as bad as many feared, which means voting shouldn't be impacted much, but then again, neither should the ticker-tape parade for the Giants, which will likely empty out Westchester & Rockland counties, as well as much of Jersey, and possibly affect the Republican vote more than the Democratic vote.

There were few electioneers on the streets, which usually happens in national elections here: by the time NY votes, the candidate has been all but nominated. I did see some Obama supporters and a few Clinton signs up.

And one honkin' big Ron Paul poster.

Dennis Kucinich and John Edwards remain on the ballot, as do Chris Dodd and Joe Biden.

You have a pretty good idea who I voted for, but I can go to bed early tonight knowing that no matter which of the remaining Democrats is declared the winner, we'll have made a solid choice for President.

(crossposted to
Simply Left Behind)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home