Friday, March 19, 2010

Self-defeating Stupak


If anti-abortion Democrat Bart Stupak thinks his renegade effort to undermine health-care reform, by putting abortion before all else, has been a "living hell," he has no one to blame but himself. And its seems he's having his doubts:

The ideal outcome, Stupak said, might be for the House Democratic leadership to get the votes they need without him and for the bill to pass.

"You know, maybe for me that's the best: I stay true to my principles and beliefs," he said, and "vote no on this bill and then it passes anyways. Maybe for me is the best thing to do."

*****

"It's caused a lot of internal conflict. 'Am I doing the right thing,' you know?" he said. "I believe everyone should have healthcare. In all my correspondence -- I've been saying for years -- it's a right, not a privilege."

Then stop being an obstructionist, Stupak, and get your priorities in order. There's still time. If you want to fight the abortion battle, fine, but leave it for another time. This is too important -- to you, apparently, if we take you at your word, to the president, to your party, to your country.

As Jon Chait puts it, "Stupak sounds like a man who has backed himself into a corner, realizes he's wrong (which he is), but can't quite admit it."

Just admit it, Stupak, if only, for now, to yourself. And help pass this historic legislation.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home