Monday, September 14, 2009

Obama, clear on the public option

By Michael J.W. Stickings

As John Amato notes (click for the clip), President Obama was "strong on the public option" in a speech in Minnesota on Saturday:

I think one of the options should be a public insurance option. (Loud cheers) Now, let me be clear... let me be clear... let me be clear... It would only be an option, nobody would be forced to choose it. No one with insurance would be affected by it. But what it would do is provide more choice and more competition. It would keep pressure on private insurers to keep the policies affordable, to treat their customers better. I mean, think about it. It's the same way the public colleges and universities provide additional choice and competition to students. That doesn't inhibit private colleges and universities from thriving out there. The same should be true on the health care front. Now, Minnesota, I have said that I'm open to different ideas on how to set this up, but I'm not going to back down from the basic principle that if Americans can't find affordable coverage we're going to provide you a choice.

As I said of his speech last Wednesday: "Let it be the start of a new chapter in the fight for equitable health care in America. Let it be the start of a public awareness campaign to make sure that Americans understand the truth about the plan without being misled by the distortions of its opponents. Let it be the start of a concerted effort on the part of Democrats to pull together to get this done."

Keep at it, Mr. President. We need you on the campaign trail, leading the fight for meaningful reform -- and for a public option.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home