Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Robert Novak (1931-2009)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

I liked him, back in my conservative youth, and, even later, I suppose I respected him for being, unlike so many of his right-wing colleagues, refreshingly honest. He was what he was and he spoke his mind loudly, forcefully, a reporter who was unabashedly ideological, a pundit who was one of the leading Republican voices of his time, a partisan to the very end. Sure, he was also "The Prince of Darkness" (not to mention a "Douchebag of Liberty") but, compared to the extremist blowhards of today, the Hannitys, O'Reillys, Limbaughs, and Becks of the conservative commentariat, he was independent in his thinking, a towering intellect, in fact, an admirable voice in a crowd of hacks, whether it was on CNN or in his long-running WaPo column. The left-versus-right dynamic that characterized shows like Crossfire, one of his main platforms, is abhorrently stultifying and stupifying, but he certainly made it all more amusing, and, from time to time, more edifying, than it would have been without him.

Robert Novak died today at the age of 78. Washington, and American political discourse generally, just won't be the same without him.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through. Please come visit my site Virginiasearch when you got time.

    By Anonymous Virginia, at 7:48 AM  

  • I am not really sure if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your great job is clearly identifed. I was wondering if you offer any subscription to your RSS feeds as I would be very interested and can’t find any link to subscribe here. Please come visit my site yellow Book page when you got time.

    By Anonymous Book page, at 7:51 AM  

  • Yet some of us are quite sure the air smells better today.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home