Monday, September 15, 2008

Richard Wright (1943-2008)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Richard Wright, a founding member of Pink Floyd and the band's long-time keyboardist, died today at the age of 65. (The BBC has an obituary here, the NYT here, CNN/AP here, the LAT here, BD here.)

I have been struggling with what to write. When I read the news, I was overcome with a sudden feeling of loss, a numbness mixed with genuine grief, an emptiness, as if a chasm had opened. We have lost someone special.

It is hard to explain. It is, obviously, an incredibly sad day for those of us for whom Pink Floyd means so much. I am one of those fans with all the albums -- the Floyd albums, the solo albums, everything, on vinyl and cassette as well as on CD. I have the box sets, Shine On and Oh, By the Way (two of the latter), I have many bookshelves dedicated to my growing collection of Floyd albums, books, and magazines. Just now, I am on the last chapter of Mark Blake's book Pigs Might Fly (a.k.a. Comfortably Numb). I have posters and candles and drinks glasses and coasters. I have Floyd websites bookmarked for constant reference. I read Brain Damage all the time. I seem to have pigs all over the place.

Call me crazy, if you will, but I have a love of Pink Floyd that is deeply personal, and that has been with me since I was about 16 or 17, when I first encountered them in a meaningful way, not long after A Momentary Lapse of Reason came out, the first Floyd album without Roger Waters, and without much of Wright. It wasn't long before I became the sort of fan I am now. It is a horrible cliche, I know, but Floyd is my soundtrack, as it is for so many others, and what I feel for them and their music defies easy explanation.

We lost Syd last year, but Syd hadn't been in the band for almost 40 years -- although, in a way, he was always there, straight through to The Division Bell, straight through to the reunion for Live8. We always wished he was there.

But what of Richard Wright, who was there from the beginning, who played on every Floyd album except for The Final Cut?

The history of Pink Floyd is often understood to be the history of the fractious relationship between its two major personalities and driving forces after Syd left, David Gilmour and Roger Waters. But Floyd would not have been Floyd without Wright. His sweeping, soaring keyboard work, grounded in serious musicianship, is what connects the psychedelic, Barrett-era Floyd to the guitar-oriented Floyd of the '70s. He was never a prolific songwriter by any means, but his sound, both his voice and his keyboards, is all over Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Floyd's first album, just as it is all over Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Where Here. The ping that opens Echoes, the epic track on Meddle, is one of his signature moments, and that incredible song is his, too, not just Gilmour's and Waters's. He wrote "The Great Gig in the Sky," one of the classic songs on Dark Side, his piano leading into the unforgettable wailing of Clare Torre, beautifully guiding the song throughout. He sings "Time" with Gilmour, and "Us and Them" is one of his most memorable contributions, stunning music for a song about war. And then there is "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," the great song about Syd, co-written with Gilmour and Waters, with perhaps Wright's finest work of all.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a Floyd album, but it was mainly Gilmour's. Wright played some, and was on the subsequent tour, but it was The Division Bell that really brought Wright back to Floyd, with Gilmour and Nick Mason. So much of that album sounds like the old Floyd, with Gilmour's guitar and Wright's keyboards in harmony again after so many years apart. I was fortunate to be able to see Floyd on the Pulse tour that followed, at the old Foxboro Stadium in Massachusetts, and it was, needless to say, incredible.

I was also fortunate to be able to see Wright again a couple of years ago here in Toronto, performing with Gilmour on his On an Island tour, as close to Pink Floyd as it could be. And it, too, was incredible, especially when they played "Echoes" together, an awesome performance. I remember watching them intently as they were playing. It was special. I think everyone there felt it. I certainly did.

I can honestly say that I loved Richard Wright. It is a sad day, and a great loss, but he will remain with us through his music. I have been listening to some of it this evening, and as I've been writing this. From "Remember a Day" on A Saucerful of Secrets, along with the fantastic instrumental title track, to "Summer '68" on Atom Heart Mother, to Dark Side, to "Shine On" on Wish You Were Here, to "Wearing the Inside Out" on The Division Bell, his most personal song, the summation of his long career, to his last solo album, Broken China (album cover above), a deeply personal work about depression. I plan on listening to him, and focusing on him, in the days to come. And watching, too, re-watching Live at Pompeii from the early days and Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall concert DVD from just a couple of years ago. And, this Tuesday, a long-awaited release, Gilmour's Live in Gdansk concert CD/DVD comes out, in multiple versions, with Wright side-by-side with Gilmour, together again.

He may have been overshadowed throughout his time in Floyd by Syd and David and Roger, but he was always there, shy and reserved, even on Animals and The Wall, softening the sound with his distinctive keyboards and voice.

Pink Floyd simply would not have been the same without Richard Wright. To so many of us, he is already being missed. We love you, Rick.

**********

Below is a tribute montage I found at YouTube this evening, along with "Astronomy Domine" live at Gdansk. I have also included a few photos, one of Syd-era Floyd (with Wright in the lower right, Mason beside him, Syd above him, and Waters), one of Floyd reunited at Live8 (from left: Gilmour, Waters, Mason, and Wright), and one of Gilmour and Wright in concert together.








Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

  • This is the best post I have read so far tonight. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and story. Many kindred spirits are out in force to mourn his passing and celebrate his life.

    Here in the Bay Area, where I am for work this week, I am listening to KFOX 98.5, with Greg Stone - it's a two hour prog rock show. And tonight there is Floyd playing. In the 80s, this is the show that turned me on to obscure Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Marillion etc.

    But I digress. I will add one song of Wright's to your post, and that is Waves from Wet Dream. It has everything I dig about him - jazzy chords, mellow sound, lots of space in his playing. He will be missed.

    I posted a tribute at my blog too, at http://isorski.blogspot.com/2008/09/pink-floyds-richard-wright-passes-at-65.html.

    By Blogger Isorski, at 1:18 AM  

  • Thank you for the kind words, Isorski. I didn't know what to write, but I know I didn't want to do a standard obit. So I made it personal. This is what Pink Floyd and Rick Wright mean to me.

    I don't know Stone's show. I'll try to catch it on the 'Net, if it's available.

    Actually, there's a lot to like on Wet Dream. It's easily dismissed, I suppose, but it contains a lot of what made Wright to important to the Floyd sound. The strengths and weaknesses of all the Floyd solo albums are precisely that: they're intimate and personal, focusing on what the particular member brought to the band, but ultimately lacking because the rest of the band isn't there. So Gilmour's solo albums (other than On an Island) are guitar-oriented but weak on lyrics and keyboards. Waters's albums, all of them, are heavy on concept but weak musically (although Amused to Death has some great moments). And Wright's albums are all keyboard-driven ambiance. Obviously, they were so much better all together, but I do like a lot of their solo work as well. On their solo albums, it's like they were trying too hard to escape from Floyd.

    I'll check out your post.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 9:54 AM  

  • I agree with the above comment. This is by far the most heartfelt and best tribute to Richard Wright since the sad news of his departure.

    I'll link it from my blog Hagley Road to Ladywood at http://www.mymarilyn.blogspot.com

    If you mind that, please simply let me know.

    claude

    By Blogger claude, at 11:23 AM  

  • Thank you so much, Claude. (And links, as always, are great.)

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 11:59 AM  

  • Thanks Michael, best I've read.

    Set the Controls and move on - somehow

    Richard

    By Blogger Richard, at 3:30 PM  

  • I have to agree with your reaction on being stunned to tears on first hearing of his passing(not knowing he was even ill)
    Your tribute is the best I've read as well, and Wright's music will be filling my home for a while yet.
    I still cannot believe this....

    By Blogger Silicate, at 4:11 PM  

  • Thanks, Richard and Mark. Your words mean a lot.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 4:21 PM  

  • Nice tribute. Even after a week I am still at a loss. Broken China now means even more to me.

    I did the same at my blog (political one too) - where I could not let Richard's passing go without comment.

    Jonny

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home