Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl XLII

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Um... wow. What a game.

Giants 17, Patriots 14

I'm a Steelers fan, as some of you may know, but (or for that very reason, given how much I dislike the Patriots, one of Pittsburgh rivals) I was fully behind the Giants in this one. I even picked the Giants by 3 -- stupidly, some might say, but I predicted a 34-31 New York win (if the Patriots had won, I could have said that I was just joking, obviously New England was going to win, I just wanted to be different).

And although I wouldn't in any way call myself a Giants fan -- I generally don't like them -- I've developed a lot of respect for them over the past couple of months, both with their near-win at New England on the last week of the season and with their extraordinary playoff run. I even like Eli Manning now -- especially after reading this piece on him at Slate a while back -- and he's just been named MVP.

The Patriots still had a remarkable season, but 18-1 is no 19-0. (And I can't wait to read Bill Simmons's take on the game that ended the historic run and destroyed the undefeated dream -- and on what it now all means.)

And so on to next year. Which I hope will be as intriguing as this past one.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Wow. I can't believe they pulled it off. No one gave them a chance. No one picked them to win and they won. This is why I watch ever Sunday. Go GIANTS!

    By Blogger creature, at 10:51 PM  

  • Ahem. Some of us picked 'em.

    Congrats, Creature.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 11:25 PM  

  • i'm a colts 'fan'- meaning i pick a team each season i like. i don't like tom brady or bill bellichick- both have arrogant attitudes. which was why i thought it fantastic that the patriots looked so 'flat'- they didn't burst all over the scene. the insufferable joe buck kept using the word 'explosive' and whatnot. didn't have it. i was delightfully surprised to see tom brady eating dirt almost all four quarters. :) he isn't used to that and i thought he was going to cry at one point. :) the giants' defense deserved that win and eli worked his heart out and did his best. good on them.

    By Blogger billie, at 10:07 AM  

  • Yes, Michael, you did pick 'em. Thanks for believing.

    By Blogger creature, at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home