Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Gore opts out

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Maybe.

Chris Bowers is reporting on a Reuters story that suggests that Gore has decided not to run for president in '08. Although I like John Edwards a great deal, I must admit I am somewhat saddened by this news (if true). I admire Gore immensely, and, given my view that the climate crisis is the most pressing issue of our time, and given his profound grasp of national security and foreign policy, as well as economic and domestic issues, I believe he would have been the right president at the right time for America and the world. But perhaps it is not to be. He won in 2000, but America ended up with one of the worst presidents in its history. Hopefully 2008 won't bring yet another disaster. Perhaps Gore's time is yet to come.

At least he'll still be leading the way on addressing the climate crisis. It's "a different kind of campaign," to be sure, but we need him to be waging it as determinedly as possible.

(For more, see Bloomberg.)

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home