Monday, October 16, 2006

Endorsing the Governator

By Michael J.W. Stickings

The L.A. Times has endorsed Schwarzenegger for governor: "Arnold Schwarzenegger has been a solid, pragmatic governor who has steered a moderate course for California. He deserves a sequel."

I don't follow California politics all that closely, but it has struck me that Democratic challenger Phil Angelides isn't much of a candidate. And, of course, Schwarzenegger isn't much of a Republican, at least in national terms, which helps with mainstream California voters. And on an issue that is extremely important to me, climate change, he has been quite progressive, joining up with Tony Blair and promoting efforts to cut greenhouse-gas emissions. So, too, on such issues as stem-cell research and the minimum wage.

None of which is to say that I would necessarily vote for him if I could, nor even that I intend to express my support for him here, but, well, at least four more years of the Governator would be entertaining -- even, or especially, to those of us who don't live in California. And perhaps four more years of Schwarzenegger in Sacramento would work out well not only for Californians but, on issues like climate change, for the rest of us, too.

For more, see my good friend and San Diego resident Joe Gandelman over at The Moderate Voice.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home