Friday, November 29, 2013

Listening to Now: Paul Desmond plays "Mrs. Robinson"

By Richard K. Barry

The sweetest tone ever accomplished on an alto saxophone has to belong to Paul Desmond. In 1970 Desmond recorded an album called Bridge Over Troubled Water, consisting entirely of Simon & Garfunkel songs. 

Richard S. Ginell writes:
Against the odds as determined by bopsters, Desmond finds something beautiful, wistful, and/or sly to say in each of these ten tunes.

I love this album. I picked it up in vinyl some time ago and have enjoyed it immensely.  

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Wow! I didn't even know that existed. I'll have to check out the whole album. I especially like that bass line, which I assume is Ron Carter. Nice arrangement overall. I pretty much can't listen to the S&G originals anymore. This is a nice way to re-experience them. Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:20 PM  

  • Good call on Ron Carter. Here's the rest.

    Paul Desmond – alto saxophone
    Herbie Hancock – electric piano
    Ron Carter – double bass
    Jerry Jemmott - Fender bass
    Airto Moreira, Bill Lavorgna, João Palma – drums
    Gene Bertoncini, Sam Brown – guitar
    Don Sebesky – arranger

    By Blogger Richard K. Barry, at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home