Thursday, March 07, 2013

Stupidest Shithole in America: Nelson, Georgia

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Do I smell another series about to start? I mean, America's full of stupid shitholes, right? Well, maybe. Let's just start with this gem in the Peach State, a very small "city" 80 miles north of Atlanta:

Every homeowner in a local town could soon have to own a gun or break the law. It's a controversial new plan for the city of Nelson.

Leaders told Channel 2's John Bachman the reason they need the law is because the city straddles Cherokee county to the south and Pickens County to the north.

That, they said, can lead to slower response times.

One police officer patrols Nelson, Georgia for eight hours during the day. That leaves 16 hours overnight when the city is basically unguarded.

"When he's not here we rely on county sheriffs -- however it takes a while for them to get here," said Nelson City Councilman Duane Cronic.

That's why Cronic proposed the ordinance.

"Every head of household will own and maintain a firearm," he said. 

Yes! Armed rednecks "policing" themselves! What could possibly go wrong?


Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • I'd be willing to bet, that no new guns would have to be purchased in Nelson, Georgia or in most of Georgia for that matter. Most of the South, for that matter.

    This fascinating idea has already been implemented elsewhere in at least one Western town over a decade ago. I remember reading about it at the time, but I don't know the results.

    Gun ownership is so prevalent in my unincorporated South Florida area that only recent immigrants from the North might possibly not have acquired one yet.

    I once asked a Deputy Sheriff acquaintance of mine why he just assumed I was a gun owner and he looked at me funny.

    The issue came up when he was advising me to shoot (a burglar) first and ask questions later. I have certain misgivings about that policy, but then I wasn't born down here.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home