Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year from The Reaction

By Michael J.W. Stickings

I can't speak for everyone here, but I must say I don't much care for New Year's. It's probably my least favorite "holiday" of the year (with Valentine's Day being my least favorite faux "holiday"). But, well, a day off's a day off, and it's been a pleasant holiday season so far, so who am I to complain?

Besides, tonight we followed tradition by bringing some good Indian food and then watching movies: first the always-amusing Despicable Me (for, like, the 1,453rd time) with the kids, then the incredible Rashomon (the Criterion Blu-ray version, of course). And then flipping through some truly awful TV, Canadian and American alike, before finally landing on CNN (Anderson Cooper, looking helpless, and the astoundingly unfunny Kathy Griffin?) for the usual anticlimax. And now I'm watching the rather underrated Ghostbusters II -- because, why not, and it's the best thing on.

All this after seeing The Hobbit in IMAX 3D this afternoon. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it -- though I did like the LOTR trilogy quite a bit -- but... wow. Awesome, awesome movie. (Though the highlight of that experience was the incredible extended preview for Star Trek: Into Darkness, which plays more like a short film than a trailer -- possibly the best movie preview I've ever seen.)

Anyway, we'll be back with the political blogging soon. Thanks to Richard for holding down the fort during my break the past several days.

(Hey, did you know America went over the fiscal cliff? No? Seems like nothing happened? Uh, yeah, that's because there's no fucking fiscal cliff. It's just an invention of the media, the fiscal scolds, and various Republicans who are trying to scare the country shitless so as to score some political points. So, yeah, whatever. A deal will get done, likely very soon, and it'll be a deal done mostly on President Obama's terms (because he has the leverage now that the Bush tax cuts have expired), which, while hardly perfect, will be way better than a deal done on strictly Republican terms.)

In the meantime, I may not much care for New Year's, but I do love this...

Happy New Year, everyone. Make it a happy and safe one, and best wishes for 2013.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Rashomon is indeed a great film. I think Japanese cinema in the 1950s enjoyed what may be the greatest era in the history of film. It's amazing how Japan, only a few years removed from the horrors and destruction of WWII, would have such a spectacularly creative era in cinema.
    I wish everyone a Happy New Year. Here's to a great 2013 for all of us.

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 4:26 AM  

  • Yes, a great movie indeed and of course without it, John Belushi would have been a lot less funny.

    But sure, the fecal cliff was no more than a great steaming mound of crap.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home