Monday, December 17, 2012

The glories of the Vatican Library

By Michael J.W. Stickings and Frank Moraes

MJWS:

Let's take a bit of a break. We've spent so much of the past few days reading, thinking, and writing about the horrific Sandy Hook massacre. And, really, what President Obama said last night was so very moving, and just what was needed. We can't tolerate this anymore. We must put an end to it.

We'll get back to the news soon, but here's a video about some very beautiful things that's well worth checking out.

Frank and I, both non-religious, are in agreement that we love the history and art of religion. I actually studied illuminated manuscripts in college, the Book of Kells, housed at Trinity College in Dublin, is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in person, and the British Library's Sir John Ritblat Gallery, which I visited this past spring, is one of the most incredible places in the world.

FM:

Last night, 60 Minutes reported on the Vatican Library. This is what I love about religion: history! And some of the illuminated manuscripts are stunning. Check this out, it is really good:

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • I've been to the Vatican. It's an amazing place. There's so much great art there that it can be exhausting after a while. St. Peter's Basilica is one of the most amazing buildings in the world. I'm sure the dazzling treasures of the Vatican could feed all the world's hungry, with money left over, but I guess it is pointless to try to introduce logic and reason into the realm of organized religion (just as I'm unclear as to what all this dazzling opulence has to do with the teachings of Jesus).

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home