Monday, July 16, 2012

How could we have been so blind?



Daily Kos had a hilarious little post yesterday about the craziness of Maricopa Country Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his quest to prove Barack Obama's birth certificate a fake. It's all absolutely absurd, of course. If you really want to know what Arpaio thinks he found, go to the Daily Kos story. As I said, its very funny, but I haven't got the patience to explain it.

And then, because the grocery store tabloids love this kind of stuff, the Globe reported Arpaio's findings in all their glory.

Beside loving the cover shot, especially the sinister look on Obama's face, I've always been intrigued by these tabloids. When I was young, I spent a lot of time working the midnight shift in supermarkets outside of New York City. On breaks I would read these things for comic relief. Even as a kid I knew they were garbage, but they certainly sold well and there were a number of them in the rack to choose from. 

It's frightening enough to think anyone is getting their political information from Fox News. I don't know what to think about the possibility that anyone reads these things with the thought they are actually learning anything.

Then again, it was the National Enquirer that broke the John Edwards / Rielle Hunter story. Maybe I should reconsider my bias. Oh, what to do, what to do...

(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home