Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mary Chapin Carpenter: "This Shirt"

By Richard K. Barry

I hadn't thought about Mary Chapin Carpenter in a while and then a friend mentioned in passing that he picked up a recent album. I first came across Carpenter at the Philadelphia Folk Festival around 1987 or '88. She was flogging a few cuts on a 45 rpm-size disk as a promotion that, I think, would later appear on her Hometown Girl album, which was her first. I'm not sure about the timing of all that.

I've always loved her stuff, even the more country-influenced material that got a fair bit of airplay in the late 80's and 90's. I know she signed with Columbia in the late 80's and had a pretty good run. Great songwriter, fabulous sensibility, great voice. What more do you want?

She has a number of songs I really like. "This Shirt" stands out.




(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home