Saturday, June 30, 2012

Romney: "This is what I did as governor. I promise I won't do it as president."


Health care is a real problem for Romney. Jon Stewart might be the first to point out that the Republican idea is to keep all of Obamacare that is popular but trash the provision that pays for it. And Romney has to do all this without breaking down and admitting that the Massachusetts health care plan, or Romneycare, that he signed into law as governor, was wrong. For Romney didn't just sign the bill, he was deeply involved in negotiating its provisions. Romney pushed for the individual mandate:

With regards to the individual mandate, the individual responsibility program that I proposed, I was very pleased that the compromise between the two houses includes the personal responsibility mandate. That is essential for bringing the health care costs down for everyone and getting everyone the health insurance they need.

Every other governor who has ever run for president has done so by touting what good things they did in their home state and how they can do that for the rest of the country. Romney is the only governor that I can think of who has been saying, in effect: "This is what I did as governor. I promise I won't do it as president."

Hell, if Rick Perry had adopted that sales pitch, I might have considered voting for him. Come to think of it, that's sort of what Bush did in practice, as well. He came into office proclaiming that he would be a bipartisan president who would work with both parties, as he did as governor, and then he morphed into a batshit-crazy "my way or no way" wingnut. 

(Cross-posted at Just an Earth-Bound Misfit.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home