Sunday, April 29, 2012

Back from vacation, back to blogging


So I was basically away for the entire month of April. My family and I went over to England, where I have a lot of non-nuclear family, and then on a vacation within a vacation to the Continent, specifically to Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and France, a trip back to where I lived in Germany as a teenager way back when, as well as to a couple of my favourite cities, Bruges and Trier, and finally to Vimy Ridge, the Canadian memorial to those who died in World War I. But even my family's place in England is vacation enough, out in the country between London and Oxford, and it was, as always, such a joy to be there as well, if not nearly for long enough.

Suffice it to say, we had an amazing time, with my kids picking up some German along the way and now able to say "No!" in several different languages. Good times.

I avoided the news as much as possible while away. I saw the headlines on BBC and in The Times, but I wanted to be away from politics. My sister and I talked politics a few times, notably after Santorum got out of the race, but that was about it. I needed a break. And I got it. (Thanks again to Richard for taking over during my absence. He's been on fire lately.)

But... it's time to get back to it. And I will. Later. For now, here are a few photos from my trip:

About to board the Euro Tunnel train


Everything they say about Belgian beer is true


The Old Civil Registry on Burg Square in Bruges, Belgium, across from our hotel


The Porta Nigra, or black gate, in Trier, Germany, dating from the late 2nd Century


The view from Heidelberg Castle, Germany


Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home