Sunday, April 29, 2012

From My Collection - Seals & Crofts' I'll Play For You


By Richard K. Barry

I'll Play For You was Seals & Crofts' seventh studio album. The title track climbed to #18 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the summer of 1975.

Seals & Crofts were a band that consisted of Jim Seals and Dash Crofts. Their music is typically categorized as soft rock, though I have always hated that term. Might as well say crappy rock. I prefer to call it music. If you're a saxophone and acoustic guitar playing folk music fan drawn to what we used to call folk-rock with an interest in jazz, Seals & Crofts actually make sense. They did for me.

They were fairly huge in the 1970s with hits like "Get Closer," "Summer Breeze," and "Diamond Girl."

This album, I'll Play For You, along with their Greatest Hits compilation were without a doubt my favourite albums while in high school. Acoustic guitars, mandolins, saxophones: how could that fail to be cool? Seriously, though, they were big at the time. As I recall, the theme song of my high school prom was "We Shall Never Pass This Way Again," from their 1973 album Diamond Girl. I know, typical high school navel gazing.

Tracks are (all songs written by Seals & Crofts, except where noted):

  • I'll Play for You 
  • Golden Rainbow (James Seals, Dash Crofts, Roger Johnson, Bobby Lichtig, Jim Varley) 
  • Castles in the Sand 
  • Blue Bonnet Nation 
  • Ugly City 
  • Wayland the Rabbit 
  • Freaks Fret 
  • Truth Is But a Woman 
  • Fire and Vengeance 
This is the title track:




(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home