What's wrong with Jon Huntsman?
I've described the former Utah governor and U.S. ambassador to China as "formidable," as the one Republican Obama should truly be worried about.
Not that Republicans will ever nominate him, mind you. They're too stupid to know what's good for them, and Huntsman just isn't the right sort of Republican for 2012, what with the party getting ever more extreme, particularly with the rise of the Tea Party, and old-school establishment figures, not to mention moderates, or those who just aren't conservative enough for the extremists, even those with a single questionable mark on their record, being purged from its ranks by the right-wing Bolsheviks who run the show.
And Huntsman... well, he's got way too many marks on his record. For example:
2) He accepts the reality of climate change and has worked to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
3) He proposes substantial engagement with China.
4) He ignores the GOP's partisan ideologues on Capitol Hill. (He's not anti-Washington, but this could be perceived as such and so would attract some support on the right.)
5) He was Obama's ambassador to China.
6) He took stimulus money as governor of Utah.
7) He didn't do enough to cut spending (particularly the social programs conservatives would like to destroy.)
8) He's admirably civil, refusing to join the Republican assault on Obama.
9) His family has given a lot of money to... Harry Reid. (That would be, the detested leader of the Democrats in the Senate. And not, that means, Tea Party darling Sharron Angle.)
There are nine irrefutable strikes against him. (Three up, three down, as they say. Inning over.)
It hardly matters that he worked for Reagan and both Bushes, or that he gave a speech nominating Sarah Palin at the 2008 Republican convention, or that he's a devout tax cutter and legitimate fiscal conservative, or that he has solid executive experience (and was extremely popular), or that he's an incredibly bright guy, or that... he's actually electable.
No, no, he's a sinner, you see, and the Bolsheviks will have none of it.
Much to the discredit of the Republican Party.