Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Republican Bigotry -- Case #78,294

By Michael J.W. Stickings

(Well, I don't know what we're up to, but, well, it's up there.)

As HuffPo is reporting, South Carolina Republican and former head of the state elections commission (!) Rusty DePass recently made a "joke" about how an escaped gorilla must be one of Michelle Obama's ancestors.

Seriously. I'm not making this up.

In response, DePass issued this non-apology: "I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest."

As TNR's Michelle Cottle notes, this was just another lame "goodness-me-I-never-dreamed-anyone-would-be-so-delicate-as-to-be-offended-by-my-grosteque-behavior" apology.

Really? If he offended anyone? How fucking clueless, how fucking stupid, is this guy?

**********

Compare this to Letterman's unnecessary (in my view) apology over his "bad" Palin joke. I realize that Letterman is a much, much bigger figure than DePass, and that he's a celebrity, but consider the differences here: Letterman is sincere, DePass isn't. Meanwhile, the right is all over Letterman but excuses far, far worse offences from within its own ranks, including outright bigotry.

**********

Our own Mustang Bobby posted on the DePass "joke" yesterday over at his place, also making the Letterman connection. Check out his post here.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home