Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Island News: Alcohol, politics, and patronage

By Michael J.W. Stickings

I'm on vacation in PEI, as many of you know, and I thought I'd let you know what is currently the top story at The Guardian (the province's major newspaper -- which, according to its banner, "COVERS PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND LIKE THE DEW") website:


As expected, the appointment of a new commissioner, "one of the most coveted positions within the provincial bureaucracy," has generated controversy. The appointment is made by Cabinet (the Liberal government led by Premier Robert Ghiz), and the appointee is a current deputy minister, Brooke MacMillan.

In response, the Progressive Conservative opposition is calling it "a plum, patronage appointment."

Far be it from me to have much of an opinion on the matter, but I will say that the alcohol selection here is pretty bad.

There are some genuinely outstanding restaurants on the Island, and the food in general is fantastic, but the wine, beer, and spirits selection at the government-run liquor stores is nothing like what one finds not just in a major city like Toronto but even in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. There's almost no international beer to be found, and almost no Canadian wine (and we have some fine wine being made in Ontario and British Columbia). There are a few well-known international wines available, but not much variety, let alone quality. There's some decent scotch and whisky, but, again, not much variety. I'm enjoying the PEI-distilled grain vodka, but I'm waiting for the PEI-distilled potato vodka -- the liquor stores don't have any in at the moment, but, as you may know, the province is famous for its potatoes.

So whoever runs the liquor commission, and whether it's a patronage appointment or not, I just hope some effort is made to improve what is available to restaurants and, of course, to us, the consumers.

Not that I'm spending my vacation boozing it up or anything...

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Dear Michael: We've never met, so I really wish I wasn't doing this, however......Please read this carefully!
    As a 15-16 month recovering Alcoholic, who WOULD NOT have taken any notice of this at all !!
    LISTEN.....My late husband & I loved drinking! With workmates/friends/family/neighbours
    never drunk, never binged, never sick days off work, NEVER unemployed, just liked to DRINK.
    So after 25-30 yrs, we were both seriously hit with a permanent life altering illness, with NO known cure at all !!!!!
    It is called 'Grand-Mal Seizures'
    somewhat related to 'Epilepsy' & is just one of MANY afflictions that good old Liquor is more than capable of carrying, and dishing out at random !!!
    Please don't let me spoil your vacation! JUST PLEASE P L E A S E
    don't include this crap in your life! I wouldn't wish this on anyone, even my worst enemy !!
    To sum this up, its basically as if one of many MINIONS of SATAN, was given free rein in your body, all those years. Then suddenly, one of the little 'Maggots' was bored, & decided to run amuck !!!
    COMPLETELY destroying their ACCOMODATION (so to speak)...
    Please don't let this happen to you!
    There is NO warning, NO blood test or vaccination, NO herbal pills or Prescription to hamper this!
    Just WAM.......!
    Sincerely,
    Sheila

    By Blogger Sheila, at 10:56 PM  

  • Michael, my friend, I have no worries about you. Yours was a creative and clever post. You had to have been sober. Continue your vacation in peace. And goodness knows, "Peace" to Sheila.

    By Blogger Carol Gee, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home