Friday, December 29, 2006

The hanged man

By Capt. Fogg

According to CNN, Saddam Hussein may be hanged tomorrow or as early as tonight in Eastern Standard time. Picturing the hooded and somewhat shrunken ex-tyrant on a platform surrounded by Americans is a chilling thought; watching a videotape of his bound body swinging from his snapped neck is nothing I look forward to, but not only because I so strongly oppose executions. It is because Muslims around the world will see a puppet government controlled by American infidels killing a Muslim.

As I said at
Human Voices a few weeks back, I can’t imagine anything good coming from this and I can imagine a surge of new anti-American sentiment and action that could come very soon.

Saddam’s defense attorney has stated that the execution will be recorded and the video released the same day. I don’t think it’s unfair to predict that the images will be widely circulated in the Muslim world so that for perhaps the first time he actually will become involved in recruiting for al Qaeda and international terrorism.

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • If there is an American even in the vicinity of this execution it will be interpreted as you state.

    I think possibly the trial and sentencing should have waited until the Iraqi government was in full control.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

  • Needless to say, I agree with both of you. This is hardly the best way for Iraq to move forward, and it could very well backfire terribly.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home