Saturday, April 15, 2006

Saturday @ the Movies

By Creature

The Girl in the Cafe (2005): When The Girl in the Cafe arrived from Netflix I sighed, "not another love story." Mrs. C has control of the Netflix account, so while I wanted King Kong, what I got was Four Weddings and a Funeral. Boy, was I ever wrong. This is a brilliantly crafted love story with a bleeding-liberal, do-the-great-thing message. If the love story doesn't get your weepy glands going, the politics will. Bill Nighy deserved an award for his quirky performance as a lonely bureaucrat (who we ALL can relate to). While Kelly MacDonald had me smitten within minutes (just tell me she doesn't remind you of Kate Winslet). I couldn't help but fall, and feel, for these characters immediately. And the best part is that after you fall for them, the movie really begins. Props must also go out to director David Yates. Nighy may have stolen the scenes, but Yates framed them perfectly. This is a must-see movie. And to the boys (Jeff, Ted, Jim, Fixer, Toast, Adam, Reynaldo, Michael*) in the audience, surprise your ladies, rent this movie. If you don't get points, come back and I'll pay for your rental.**

*This is not an extensive list of the "boys" in the audience. Please do not take offense if your name is not on the list. Open thread your name if you can't take being left out.
**I will not be paying for your rental, sorry.
***And please refrain from sissy-boy cat-calls. A boy can feel too, you know.


(Cross-posted at State of the Day.)

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home