Friday, November 14, 2008

What to do about Joe Lieberman? (update 3)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Or, in praise of Patrick Leahy.

Via Greg Sargent at TPM, here's what Sen. Leahy said today about the upcoming Democratic caucus vote on Lieberman:

Every Senator will have to vote the way he or she believes they should. I'm one who does not feel that somebody should be rewarded with a major chairmanship after doing what he did... I felt some of the attacks that he was involved in against Senator Obama... went way beyond the pale. I thought they were not fair, I thought they were not legitimate, I thought they perpetuated some of these horrible myths that were being run about Senator Obama. I would feel that had I done something similar, that I would not be chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee in the next Congress.

In other words, no Homeland Security chairmanship for Lieberman. Let's hope Leahy's colleagues agree.

Think Progress has the audio of Leahy's remarks, which were picked up by Kos diarist terjeanderson.

For more, see MyDD's Josh Orton: "Leahy nails it: in any normal world, it makes perfect sense for Lieberman to lose his chairmanship of such a powerful committee. But this is Lieberworld, where comity always comes first, and bad faith is ignored willfully."

I don't know about you, but I've had more than enough of Lieberworld.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home