Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Constitution shredded

By Creature

I knew Barack Obama's yes vote for the constitutionally-flawed, immunity-laden FISA bill today was all but certain, but now that's it's done I'm even more furious than before. To give Bush what he wanted, to cover-up massive telcom and administration law-breaking, to throw in with the GOP and the likes of Rockefeller and Feinstein (on the Democratic side) is beyond the pale. Thanks for nothing, Barack Obama. If you ever return to teaching Constitutional law I hope you're proud that you are personally responsible for having one less amendment to teach.

Update: Senator Feingold is hopeful that under an Obama presidency today's FISA disaster can be fixed. Since I don't have much choice in the matter, I'll take my cues from Russ and keep my fingers crossed.

(Cross-posted at State of the Day.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

  • HA HA HA! Now, whoever gets elected, nothing will change!! Hooray for sanity and up yours, you Bolshevik know-nothing! You are the craziest fuckers around -- a true laughing stock. FUCK YOU!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 PM  

  • Huh?

    By Blogger creature, at 11:39 PM  

  • Yeah, er, uh... Something tells me Anonymous needs some serious help.

    Anyway...

    I'm less critical of Obama than you are, Creature, but, overall, I find his support for this so-called compromise (really, a capitulation to Bush), as well as any Democratic support for it, as well as any support for it, indefensible.

    The problem is that Obama's argument is based on expediency, not principle. He was against it during the primaries (and he may, for all I know, be against it in principle), and now he's for it, including the immunity part, but he'll be against it again if he's president.

    BUT WHAT IF HE ISN'T PRESIDENT?

    Then he's just helped hand McCain exactly what Bush wanted. Besides, can we be so sure that he would change it? Okay, maybe. I still have a great deal of confidence in him. But why not take a stand now?

    I'm willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt on many issues over the course of the general election campaign. I realize that winning will require careful positioning on certain issues, and if that means running to the center, so be it. He's only heading to the center on a few issues, and he's still the liberal-progressive we supported during the primaries.

    But on FISA? No, I'm sorry, I just can't do it.

    And he, like Dodd and Feingold, should have stood up against yet another assault on the Constitution.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 12:06 AM  

  • My goodness! Fox News is right! You Lefties are going CRAZY with Obama moving to the dreaded center. Essentially running around like screaming faggots with dildos shoved up their asses!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM  

  • Huh?

    By Blogger creature, at 6:21 PM  

  • Huh? That dumb? Or just being passive agressive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home