Sunday, August 07, 2005

That giant sucking sound you hear is President Bush's support among the American people evaporating into oblivion...

According to Newsweek, Bush's approval rating on Iraq is down to 34 percent -- his disapproval rating is 61 percent. It's the lowest it's ever been. In addition: "50 percent of those polled say the United States is losing ground in its efforts to establish security and democracy in Iraq; just 40 percent say the U.S. is making progress there."

I'm not one to place too much emphasis on polls (even though I've written about them here, here, and here), but these numbers are staggering. Bush, after all, ran for re-election as a war president, but neither the war on terror (where's Osama?) nor Iraq (is it getting worse?) seems to be going all that well. Again, what if we could do 2004 all over again?

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • The problem with these polls, as I've noted before, is that they are taken in a vacuum. It's very possible that if Bush had run against a candidate named X, he would have lost. Unfortunately, he ran against a candidate named Kerry. And, I'm not sure, given the choices that he would lose to Kerry even now.

    The Democrats need some strong, attractive candidates. Maybe John Edwards is the answer. (By the way, I read an article in the Wilson Quarterly that points out the advantages that a physically attractive candidate has in elections. So, let's stay away from ugly candidates.) But the point is, without a better alternative, bad polls don't make any difference. And, frankly, the frontrunners seem to be people I think would get crushed, ie, Hilary Clinton. So, I'm starting my Edwards for President push now. The liberals want someone angry like Dean, but I don't think anger wins elections--affability does as both Reagan and Bush have proven.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 AM  

  • So you're committing yourself to Edwards? Well, he's got a shot. I'll hold you to it!

    Anyway, I just throw these poll numbers out there. I know they don't mean all that much, though they do reflect sagging popularity. For there's hardly any doubt that Bush isn't as popular as he once was.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home