Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sarah Palin - still delusional after all these years

By Richard K. Barry

The Hollywood Reporter ran an excerpt recently from a new book about Saturday Night Live. It's actually an update of an old book. Live From New York is by James Andrew Miller and Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post television critic Tom Shales (due out in September). It adds a couple hundred pages of original material to an earlier history of the show, which came out in 2002, in order to bring things more or less up to date.

If you like this kind of stuff, enjoy. Entertainment industry navel-gazing doesn't really do it for me.

I did find a couple of comments by that half-term mayor somewhat amusing.

These were attributed to Sarah Palin: 
I think SNL is egotistical if they believe that it was truly an effect on maybe the public debate about who should lead the country in the next four years.
And:
I know that they portrayed me as an idiot, and I hated that, and I wanted to come on the show and counter some of that.

Well, who can say if a very popular nationally broadcast program that constantly pokes fun at the intellectual capacity of a given politician really has an impact. I've got to think it's probably not helpful to said politician.

As for the second comment, I didn't think she did all that badly on the show. Dumb as she obviously is, I gave her points for her appearance. I am, however, pretty sure she didn't counter anything.

All of which is really just an excuse to post a collection of Tina Fey's best Palin bits. Outstanding.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I do this a lot. I want to post a song or something. And before I know it, there are 500 words of me ranting about something. In many cases, I find I've gotten terribly sidetracked. So I give you points for staying on point. Also: for raising The Reaction from its hibernation. Hooray!

    By Anonymous Frank Moraes, at 10:49 PM  

  • Thanks, Frank. Hard to focus on much this summer, which, by the way, we are not really having in Canafa.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 AM  

  • She might have a point in a way. The only reason Tina Feys Palin bits resonated with the public is because people already knew what an idiot Palin was (is). So in that sense, SNL may not have had much effect.

    By Blogger Professor Chaos, at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home