Saturday, June 01, 2013

Shame on Andrew Cuomo

By Richard K. Barry

Wow, look at the size of my thumb.

I stand with those who think that former Rep. Anthony Weiner's crotch-tweeting was foolish but hardly reason to condemn him for the rest of his political life. When you think about the kinds of actions politicians more or less survive like, oh, let's say, lying to the American public about the existence of WMDs in Iraq, well, you get my point. 

I thought Andrew Cuomo's comments that electing Weiner as mayor of New York City would be a "shame on us" event for voters was rather obnoxious. Perhaps he has come to that conclusion himself as he has stopped talking about the matter.


Politicker:

“I appreciate that you continue to ask questions that you know that I don’t want to answer,” Mr. Cuomo accordingly deadpanned earlier today when faced with yet another question on Mr. Weiner, this one about the scandal-scarred mayoral candidate’s recent rise in the polls.

“I respect your perseverance,” he added. “I hope that you respect my discipline.”

Perhaps ironically given his last not-quite-a-joke “shame on us” reaction when asked about Mr. Weiner’s potential victory–which he unconvincingly insisted was humor–the crowd of reporters laughed at today’s remark.

Cuomo has now taken the more sensible view that he should keep his moralistic musings to himself. 
“The mayoral election has a long way to go,” he said. “It’s going to be a long campaign, let’s see what happens. I’m sure there will be a lot of twists and turn. There normally are. It seems like a more interesting race than usual … So, let’s see how it goes, but I don’t intend to comment on the twists and turns of the New York City mayoral election.”

There is a famous quote I can't quite dredge out of my brain this morning, but it has to do with the fact that we seem more intent on punishing immorality when it is committed on a smaller scale than when the stakes are higher. 

Human nature is a funny thing. 


(Cross-posted at Phantom Public.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Well, there's the Nazi big lie theory. But here is a quote from The Cause that sums up my feelings about Cuomo:

    "Cuomo scuttled the tax and then went on to compare his lone wolf position with that of his father's unstinting opposition to the death penalty. 'The fact that everybody wants it, that doesn't mean all that much,' he explained, apparently without noticing that his father's lonely stand had been taken on behalf of prisoners on death row, rather than multimillionaires on Wall Street."

    See: The Cause Briefly

    It is an indictment of the liberal movement that we pretend that Cuomo is a liberal.

    By Anonymous Frank Moraes, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home