Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ashley Judd is not gonna do it

By Richard K. Barry

(Ed. note: This appears to be the great divide here at The Reaction. Richard is anti-Judd, while I'm pro-Judd. And I think it's a shame she's not running. -- MJWS)

Since I said some fairly snarky things about actor Ashley Judd possibly running against Senate Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in 2014, I should close the loop and report that she is not going to run after all. 

She made the announcement via tweet, writing: 

After serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities & energy at this time need to be focused on my family. 

According to The Washington Post:

Democratic Senate strategists have argued that Judd would be a good, if unconventional candidate, pointing to her ability to rival or even eclipse McConnell in fundraising. But McConnell’s path to victory involves savaging his opponent, and Judd’s status as an actress and celebrity would have offered him loads of ammunition.

And that may be, but it's not my issue.

I have nothing against Mr. Judd, but I do have concerns about those who confuse celebrity with political competence. Just because a lot of fools run and sometimes win election doesn't mean we shouldn't seek appropriate experience in our political leaders. 

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home