Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Okay Mitt, tell us what you really think about those who disagree with you

By Richard K. Barry

I put my foot in my mouth again, didn't I?


If you have not seen the hidden camera piece exposing what Mitt Romney really thinks of the little people, you must have a look. My guess is it will go seriously viral over the next few days, but no harm in helping it get out there.

The event that was filmed was a fundraiser at which Romney explained to a bunch of rich people the characteristics of those who will vote for Obama no matter what.

Said Romney:


There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what...These are people who pay no income tax.

He added:

My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. 

Mother Jones obtained the video. In the accompanying article they say this about what Romney thinks of Obama voters:

He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don't assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them.

I don't know. Sometimes statements like this get little play. Sometimes they are devastating for a campaign. I'm having a hard time imagining that this won't blow up. I could be wrong.

Mitt Romney said, in effect and with little nuance, "I have nothing but contempt for 47 percent of the electorate." How could that not be a major problem for his campaign?



(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home