Friday, December 16, 2011

This day in music - December 16, 2007: American singer-songwriter Dan Fogelberg dies in Maine at the age of 56

By Richard K. Barry

I went through a period in my twenties during which I loved Dan Fogelberg's music. I discovered him while away at college at Oswego State University in upstate New York. He was very popular among the student population at the time.

"To the Morning" is still one of my favourites. "Part of the Plan," "Run for the Roses," "Longer" -- so many great tunes.

Fogelberg died of prostate cancer at the age of 56 in 2007. As I recall, he didn't have much of a chance for survival once diagnosed. Apparently, it was caught late.

I've always loved his songwriting. It may not be your cup of tea, but it's really not easy to write good lyrics. I know. I've tried. But Fogelberg always seemed to be able to do that. The opening lines of "Go Down Easy," for example, are, to me, so lovely and painful:


Linda lost her lover in the early part of autumn
And she moved out to the country, hoping all would be forgotten.
The last time that I saw her, she was making sure that winter
wouldn't come through that old door frame
where the door is several inches from the ground, the cold hard ground.

Love of certain artists is so situational. As I came upon Fogelberg's music while first being away at college, it holds a special place for me for that reason if no other. I guess the senses are open to new things and the music that's all around becomes memorable. Something like that. 

For whatever reason, I still love his music. He captured something for me. I was sorry to see him go. 


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Fogelberg was a great songwriter, but "Go Down Easy" was a cover. It was written by Jay Bolotin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home