Tuesday, December 13, 2011

This day in music - December 13, 1975: Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits goes to #1


The album started a five-week run at No. 1 on the U.S. charts on this day. This really is one of my all-time favourite albums. When you're a young sax player, and most of what you hear on the radio is guitar-driven rock, you gotta love Chicago, a group that described itself as a "rock and roll band with horns."

I was a little too young to get caught up in the Blood, Sweat & Tears thing, a fabulous horn band, and was told by older friends that Chicago was a pale imitation of BS&T, but Chicago was my generation, and I loved them. I came to love BS&T later.

In truth, this album came out during my senior year of high school, and it's hard not to be crazy about music that came out during that period of one's life. Is it because teenage romance is usually in the mix? Probably. 

Because I can't help myself, I'll list the tracks.

Side One

1. 25 or 6 to 4
2. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
3. Colour My World

4. Just You 'n' Me
5. Saturday in the Park
6. Feelin' Stronger Every Day

Side Two

1. Make Me Smile
2. Wishing You Were Here
3. Call on Me
4. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
5. Beginnings

The last one, "Beginnings," is probably my favourite track, though "Searchin' So Long" is up there.


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home