Friday, May 27, 2011

This day in history - May 27, 1933: The Century of Progress World's Fair opens in Chicago


 
I went to the New York World's Fair in the mid-1960s. I was quite young, but I vaguely remember it. Mostly I remember that I couldn't get that insipid little tune "It's a Small World (After All)" out of my head for months afterward.

One of the best things about world fairs is the inevitable exhibitions that describe what life will be like in the future and how they always get it so incredibly wrong. Apparently the Homes of Tomorrow Exhibition featured futuristic homes with the promise that personal helicopter pads would be available as an accoutrement for those so inclined.

In fact, the overall theme of the fair was technological innovation.

One interesting fact is that the first Major League Baseball All-Star Game was held at the Chicago White Sox Comiskey park in conjunction with the fair.

All in all I understand that the Chicago World's Fair of 1933 -- "A Century of Progress International Exposition" -- was a splendid and highly successful event. No doubt.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home