Thursday, January 27, 2011

Have I mentioned I don't much care for the British Monarchy?


Yes, I know the Queen's on our coins. And, yes, as both a Canadian and British citizen, I know I'm supposedly a "subject" of "Her Majesty."

And I'm not quite sure what the alternative should be in Canada. (We need a "head of state," after all, not just a prime minister. An elected "president," as in Germany?)

But, honestly, I can't stand them.

(Actually, Charles is the only one I like. Sort of.)

And the whole William-Kate wedding saga is just irritating. As if we should care. (About Diana's/Kate's ring, about Kate's engagement dress, about what Kate will be called, about any of it.)

It's bad enough in Britain. It's worse when Canadians bow before such nonsense.

Are we really so pathetic a nation that we need the British Monarchy above us?


Photo from The Globe and Mail: "Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visit Australia House to mark Australia Day, in central London January 26, 2011."

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Canadians per capita spend more to upkeep the Royals than the Brits do.

    We have years to deal with Camilla and then Katie. God Help Us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 PM  

  • Its all that media brainwashing. At this point, realistically, the monarch is 'useless'.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home