Friday, April 23, 2010

Let the Maurkice Pouncey era begin!


For a sports fan, there was a lot to choose from on the teevee last night -- hockey and basketball playoffs, as well as baseball, and I have a digital package that includes every NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB game -- but what kept me glued was the NFL draft. Sure, it's a manufactured, overhyped, made-for-prime-time event (this year, for the first time), and I don't pay much attention to college football anymore, but I just can't get enough of all the pre-draft mocking, with all the various attempts to figure out who's going where, and the draft itself makes for great drama. I flipped back and forth between TSN, Canada's main cable sports network that was showing the ESPN coverage, and the NFL Network. I opted mostly for the latter, even if the former is a much better production, given that I prefer Mike Mayock to Mel Kiper Jr. and Rich Eisen to Chris Berman.

Anyway, I won't get into analyzing the first-round picks here, as this post would go on far too long, but let me just say that as a Steelers fan I think the pick of Florida center-guard Maurkice Pouncey is fantastic, just the sort of improvement they need for their often less-than-impressive o-line.

I wanted them to deal Ben Roethlisberger, of whom I've had more than enough, like many other Steelers fans, but I suppose it was impossible for them to get a fair deal (maybe the Rams' first overall pick, though I hardly think Sam Bradford is a sure thing, or maybe some Raiders picks) and there's something to be said, I suppose, for standing with, and supporting, a key member of the franchise, the guy who led you to two Super Bowls during this challenging time. He seems to be something of a scumbag, and ridiculously immature, but I sincerely hope that everything that has happened will compel him to grow up, realize that what he has done is simply not acceptable, accept responsibility, and become a better person.

Roethlisberger wasn't charged in Georgia, but the NFL has punished him, the Steelers organization (including the Rooney family) and Steelers fans everywhere have expressed their anger and disappointment, and he has been publicly shamed. He will sit out at least the first four games of the regular season, but it could be six. I'm willing to forgive him, and to move on, but he must show us all that he is serious about changing. And he would do well to apologize to all those he has hurt, the women he has left in his wake.

(Oh, let me just add that the Broncos gave up way, way, way too much for Tim Tebow. I realize he's got the hype, and that he's a great character guy (if you like those Christian fundamentalists), but he's not going to be a great NFL QB. But it's too bad the Bills, our local team here in Toronto, didn't get him.)

Anyway, a trade was not about to happen yesterday and the Steelers did well to take Pouncey. I hope they address a couple of their other weak areas in the second and third rounds this evening by taking a defensive back or perhaps even a running back to back up Rashard Mendenhall. They also need depth at linebacker. Or how about a QB? Hmmm. We shall see.

(Photo of Pouncey from the St. Petersburg Times.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home