Tuesday, March 09, 2010

California Republican: "I am gay."


Cal. State Senator Roy Ashburn:

I am gay. Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long. It is something that is personal, and I don’t believe I felt with my heart that being gay would affect how I do my job.

You know what? Fuck you, Roy Ashburn. Good for you that you've come out of the closet, but how did all that self-hatred work out for you?

More importantly, how much damage do you think your long history of anti-gay views did? Oh, you say you were just representing your constituents? Bullshit. You weren't a weathervane, you were a bigot (and maybe still are, for all I know). Were there -- are there -- no gays among your constituents?

Your views and your voting record have consequences.

You may pray to your "God" that you "can find peace," but what of the peace you denied to others while you were viciously repressing your sexuality?

You won't, but you should excuse me for thinking you a despicable man.

**********

For a somewhat more sober take, see our friend Mustang Bobby:

Good for him on the admission... I can understand all too well his inability to face the truth: it's not easy to come out of the closet at any age because of the social stigma placed on being openly gay, especially when it's reinforced by elected officials who engage in gay-bashing to assuage their own self-loathing and for electoral gain. Admitting it to yourself and the people who care is the first step. And if he's going to be truly honest with his constituents and his family, he has some apologies to make; not for being gay, but for his lack of honesty to them and to himself. 

Yes, that would be a good start. I can't really relate, but I do try to understand how difficult it must have been, and must still be. But, to me, that's no excuse, not for a right-wing political career full of anti-gay bigotry.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home