Monday, October 26, 2009

Rivera and Stossel on Dobbs: When even the crazy think you're crazy, you must be seriously crazy.


You know you're a crazy extremist when even Geraldo Rivera and John Stossel are calling you out. And that's precisely what's happened to Lou Dobbs, as Think Progress is reporting.

Lou Dobbs is almost single-handedly responsible for creating, for being the architect of the young-Latino-as-scapegoat for everything that ails this country,

said Rivera, without exaggerating all that much (because, clearly, Dobbs isn't alone in his thinking). For his part, Stossel said he doesn't "subscribe to Lou Dobbs-kind of rants about immigrants wrecking America."

And Rivera is actively campaigning against Fox News, his network, hiring Dobbs away from CNN. I can't quite believe I'm about to write this, but... Well done, Geraldo Rivera! Keep it up!

Which is not to say I care about Fox News. I don't -- well, I care only insofar as I loathe it. And I suppose I'd much rather see Dobbs at Fox News than at CNN. Not that I care much about CNN either, I just think Dobbs at Fox is more fitting than Dobbs at CNN, which at least pretends to be, and on occasion tries to be, a real news network. Of course, Dobbs fashions himself an independent, which would seem to distance him from the overtly partisan Fox News. Plus, CNN is sort of independent, and so in that sense a more suitable home for him. But let's not kid ourselves. Dobbs may not subscribe to the love of the unfettered free market that motivates many on the right, but his politics are nothing if not rightist. Then again, so are Pat Buchanan's, and he's at MSNBC, much to the shame of all things peacockian.

So whatever. The point is that Dobbs is a despicable figure. Even Rivera and Stossel know it. And that's saying something.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home