Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Republicans are so popular

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Today's funny, from TNR's Chris Orr:

Dana Milbank hilariously tallies invocations of Ronald Reagan at yesterday's debate between the candidates for RNC chair. He comes up with a total of 16, which is fewer than the 22 guns that four of the contenders boast of owning in a comical display of yardsticking. But the most delightful burst of one-upsmanship has to be this:

"Let me just say that I have 4,000 friends on Facebook," contributed Blackwell, putting his hand on Dawson's and Anuzis's knees. "That's probably more than these two guys put together, but who's counting, you know?" Acknowledged Saltsman: "I'm not sure all of us combined Twitter as much as Saul."

Anuzis claimed he had "somewhere between 2- and 3,000" Facebook friends, which prompted Blackwell to remind the audience that he has 4,000 friends on the social networking site by waving four fingers behind Anuzis's head.

Damn, they're cool.

Damn straight. (Have I mentioned that I don't Facebook, if I may use it as a verb? (Though I have a page there that I haven't even looked at since shortly after I first set it up way back when.) I also don't own any guns and try not to invoke Reagan (and certainly not in any positive way). Count me out for RNC chair!)

Now might be a good time to post some of the lyrics, from the chorus, of that sarcastic early-'90s classic of teen angst, Nada Surf's "Popular."

I'm head of the class
I'm popular
I'm a quarterback
I'm popular
My mom says I'm a catch
I'm popular
I'm never last picked
I got a cheerleader chick

***

I'm the party star
I'm popular
I've got my own car
I'm popular
I'll never get caught
I'm popular
I make football bets
I'm a teacher's pet

As for the RNC chair wannabes, I bet their moms think they're quite the catches, too. As for whether they've got cheerleader chicks, well, that I don't know, but I doubt.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home