Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sinbad contra Hillary

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Now this is rather hilarious, far more hilarious than anything he ever did during whatever comedy "career" he may have had. While Clinton keeps talking up her alleged "experience," particularly in the area of foreign policy, Sinbad -- yes, Sinbad, the alleged "comedian" -- has emerged to refute her:

When Barack Obama characterized Hillary Clinton’s foreign policy experience as "having tea" with diplomats, Clinton fired back with anecdotes about a trip she took to wartime Bosnia in 1996. "Somebody said there might be sniper fire," she said, describing a dangerous corkscrew landing her plane had to make. "I don't remember anyone offering me tea on the tarmac." But now that account is being disputed. By Sinbad.

Turns out the comedian, who was along for the ride with Sheryl Crow, remembers things differently, the Washington Post reports. "I never felt that I was in a dangerous position,” Sinbad said. "I never felt being in a sense of peril, or 'Oh, God, I hope I'm going to be OK when I get out of this helicopter or when I get out of this tank.'"

He also disputed Clinton's claim that first ladies get sent to all the poorest and most dangerous countries. “What kind of president would say, ‘Hey, man, I can't go 'cause I might get shot so I'm going to send my wife... Oh, and take a guitar player and a comedian with you.'" The ridicule goes on. (Keep in mind that Sinbad is a fervent Obama fan.)

Yes, he is an Obama supporter, but he may also be right about this. Chait: "When your main campaign theme is foreign policy experience, and that experience is persuasively refuted by a comedian, it's time to find a new theme."

Sure, except that she doesn't really have any other theme. Her whole campaign is based on smearing Obama. Now that her self-glorification is being exposed for what it is -- and, no, not just by Sinbad -- her tank is empty. She still has that "kitchen sink" to throw around, and it's not like she doesn't have a solid base of support, but, in terms of a positive theme, she simply has nothing left.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • With so much attention being payed to the question of her foreign policy experience, I'm wondering whether it really matters. Of all the Presidents in my time, I think Eisenhower and perhaps George I had the most. Nixon did too, as VP, of course. He wasn't a very good president, as I recall.

    I think it's close to being a law of nature that the image they build during campaigns has nothing whatever to do with the way they act in office or how good they are at the job anyway.

    It's very amusing to go back and listen to W's rhetoric from his first campaign, including the way he lambasted Gore. You'd think it was a different cowboy.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 8:34 AM  

  • Sure, except that she doesn't really have any other theme. Her whole campaign is based on smearing Obama.

    Yea.

    Imagine how much nicer this would all be if he actually addressed the issues...

    By Blogger Carl, at 5:01 PM  

  • One of the reasons that Barack Obama is successful is that he inspires people to do what Hillary Clinton only alludes to in her speeches. WORK.
    Care about this country? Get off the dime, do some research and educate yourself about where this country has been and where you think it should go, then look at the candidates to determine which one is more likely to lead you in that direction.

    How many Obama detractors have actually taken the time to do this? Where is the substance of Hillary's claims about anything? Foreign policy? Healthcare? Iraq? I'm still waiting for something that resonates from her camp. More substance on issues and policies and less on the soap-opera bickering that distracts from the true goal of this election. CHANGE.

    Television is full of the mindless drivel that passes for entertainment these days. Give me a candidate that personifies what I believe about America. Some one I can believe in and respect.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home