Wednesday, August 08, 2007

If it's a day ending in "y", it's another Democratic debate

By Creature

Last night the Democratic hopefuls for the '08 nomination gathered in Chicago. Keith Olberman was the host--a good thing, the crowd was noisy--also a good thing, and the candidates were still politicians--a bad thing. All I could think as I watched them spin was that I have a serious case of Democrat fatigue after last weekend's FISA capitulation to the 28% president and I was not in the mood to hear from anyone with a "D" after their name.

However, there were two moments in the debate worth highlighting.

First, after taking some heat for his willingness to destabilize Pakistan and provoke a nuclear war with an ally--yes, I am exaggerating, Obama answered the charge of "irresponsible" as if he'd been reading Atrios for years:

"Well, look, I find it amusing that those who helped to authorize and engineer the biggest foreign policy disaster in our generation are now criticizing me for making sure that we are on the right battlefield and not the wrong battlefield in the war against terrorism,"

Well said by Obama, and exactly the rhetorical tone I am looking for.

Next, Hillary, William Kristol's new girlfriend, had her been-there-done-that line ready and waiting for those attacking her:

"For 15 years, I have stood up against the right-wing machine and I’ve come out stronger, so if you want a winner who knows how to take them on, I’m your girl."

This was also a good line because this is a Hillary strength. The Democrats can't risk another Kerry campaign where swiftboat flip-flopping charges go unanswered until after the ballots have been cast.

For deeper debate dissection I send you over to Joe Gandelman at The Moderate Voice and Steve Benen at The Carpetbagger Report.

(Cross-posted at State of the Day.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home