Sunday, June 10, 2007

Powell: born-again maverick?

By J. Kingston Pierce

I’ve expressed my opinions before on former Secretary of State Colin Powell, and how he allowed himself to be corrupted by the Bush administration’s post-9/11 warmongering. Powell effectively destroyed any chance he had of a future career in elective politics by providing George W. Bush with cover he needed to invade Iraq in 2003. Powell is no longer considered a viable candidate for any office. (That he publicly denies interest in running for office is only his convenient way of recognizing reality.)

But I have to give Powell a modicum of credit for his appearance this morning on Tim Russert’s Meet the Press. Asked whether he would endorse any presidential candidates at this stage, Powell wisely said, “Oh, not yet. It’s too early.” What was more interesting, though, was his answer to Russert’s question about whether he would “support the Republican” in the 2008 race.

Powell: “It’s too early. ... I’m going to support the best person that I can find who will lead this country for the eight years beginning in January 2009.

Russert: “Of any party.”

Powell: “The best person I can find.”

As Joe Sudbay of AMERICAblog points out, such coyness about party choice is “just not done in GOP world. Loyalty comes first.” Apparently, Powell didn’t get the memo. Or maybe he’s just seen what havoc can be wrought through loyalty.

View the video for yourself here.

(Cross-posted at Limbo.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • When I was growing up as a child I was proud to say that I lived in a republican household. It wasn't until I moved out and was reintroduced to politics that I realized the republican party I thought I knew had morphed into something ugly.

    I have a feeling Powell's feeling the same way right now. I'm glad to see he's back and decidedly nonpartisan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home