Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dead at last

By Capt. Fogg

I'm not always a fan of Christopher Hitchens, although I'd never deny his intelligence, but he and I see eye to eye regarding the late Jerry Falwell. Dead at last, good God almighty, dead at last.

I don't have the time and patience to expatiate on the offenses of the "reverend" Falwell, but it's something that needs to be done and done often, lest we forget that this Bible-thumping bigot and hatemonger thrived on our reluctance to turn an honest and critical eye on anyone calling himself Reverend, our forbearance when it comes to perceiving and punishing the evil of religious leaders, annointed, ordained, or self-appointed, be they Mullah or Pastor, Reverend or Rabbi, Priest or Pundit.

Hitchens's erudite excoriation of Falwell at Slate and his profession on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360° expresses my sentiments admirably, if more politely than I would do. Perhaps you've seen it, but even so it's worth seeing again.




(Cross-posted at Human Voices.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • This is one of my favorite clips of the year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 AM  

  • For his forthrightness, I have forgiven Hitchens of many sins.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 2:01 PM  

  • I forgive Hitchens nothing. But "Chaucerian frauds" is a nice turn of phrase.

    By Blogger That guy, at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home