Friday, January 05, 2007

Are you liberal or conservative?

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Take this political quiz. As with all such quizzes, the accuracy of the outcome can and ought to be questioned, but it's still amusing. Given your answers, you'll be rated on a 0-40 scale (0 being 100% liberal and 40 being 100% conservative).

My score: 13. Which puts me right between Hillary Clinton at 10 and Bill Clinton at 15. Which may or may not be accurate. I consider myself a liberal, but I suppose my progressive tendencies are counter-balanced by classical liberal inclination that border on libertarianism and that could be perceived as conservatism according to current definitions.

By the way, Andrew Sullivan scored a 26, Glenn Reynolds a 21, and Jeralyn Merritt an 8.

But so what?

**********

A much better test can be found at The Political Compass.

My scores:

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

Which puts me in the middle of the lower left quadrant, the libertarian left, near Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and the British and New Zealand Greens.

Of course, these are just my answers today. My scores would change according to slight variations in my answers, and on some questions I was indeed unsure of my answer.

Still, it seems about right to me.

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • MJWS-I took the first quiz, and got 11 (also between Bill and Hillary).Thanks for this neat opportunity. I'll come back for the more complex one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 AM  

  • Which is sort of where I'd put both of you (from what I know of you). I think I'm a little more to the center on the economic axis of the political compass -- after all, I consider myself a liberal both socially and economically -- but no quiz is perfect.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 3:11 AM  

  • I can't take the first "quiz" you linked to very seriously. It tries to pound things into one dimension.

    But I do find the "Political Compass" to be very well designed.

    Naturally, any of these quizzes should be taken with a grain of salt. But Political Compass at least gets the terminology right and recognizes that political differences map on to (at least) two dimensions, not one.

    Oh, for the record, the first one gave me a 9 (about the same as H. Clinton--NO WAY!!). My compass bearings are -3.88 and -6.26, which--given that I admire the New Zealand Green Party, the Canadian NDP, and Nelson Mandela and Gandhi--seems almost exactly correct!

    By Blogger MSS, at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home