Sunday, September 24, 2006

About Heraclitus

By Heraclitus

I forgot that I was supposed to be more cheery today. I'll tell you more about myself; if that doesn't make you happy, you're hopeless. Well, first try a Cinnabon. If that doesn't make you happy, then you really are hopeless.

I tried to enter this information in my blogger profile, but they'll only allow simple lists, with no comment. Here's a fuller account of my favorite movies, music. and books.

Movies: Everything I've seen by Akira Kurosawa, noir and samurai, but especially The Seven Samurai and Ran. Crimes and Misdemeanors, Manhattan, Bullets Over Broadway, and other Woody Allen movies (though certainly not all). The Usual Suspects, Casablanca. The Godfathers One and Two, though I think by two both Coppola and Pacino were headed downhill, Coppola towards infantile self-absoprtion, Pacino towards just stomping around and shouting everything -- though all of that's more than made up for by Robert De Niro's turn as the young Vito Corleone. M and The Seventh Seal, though it's been a long time since I've seen either. Others I'm probably forgetting. I think Citizen Kane is overrated, although it's also been a while since I've seen that. As an adolescent I frequently watched D. A. Pennebaker's Don't Look Back, a film which immortalizes Bob Dylan as a sarcastic, chain-smoker hipster in a foreign country in the mid-sixties, which I suppose explains a lot about my subsequent life and character.

Music: Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan. Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Haydn, bluegrass, blues, Pink Floyd, Sonic Youth. I'm starting to listen to jazz, rather than just catch it on the very occasional NPR show. But mostly Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan.

Books: Well, Heraclitus, of course, Thucydides, Plato, La Rochefoucauld, Pascal, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky (a chronological list that isn't actually chronological). Romantic and Modernist poetry, especially Keats and the more accessible stuff of Pound and Eliot. Richard Klein, Cigarettes are Sublime. And oh, yeah, that Shakespeare guy had skills. I also like Agatha Christie mysteries. Generally speaking, I try to write more like an Englishman than a Continental, although I think that's more of a cumulative effect than the result of a single influence (like, say, Evelyn Waugh). Or maybe it's just a negative reaction to trying to read Hegel.

My interests include Indian food, whatever the plural of "gin and tonic" is (Bombay Sapphire and lime wedge), baseball, and finding permanent employment.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home