Saturday, May 20, 2006

The massive crapfest known as Eurovision 2006

The Reaction from England

Just a quick post on the first full day of my vacation in Merrie England -- and how lovely it is here, despite odd weather that seems to change by the minute.

First, though, a big thank you to Creature and The (liberal) Girl Next Door for some excellent posts. There'll be more from them, and from others, in the days ahead.

**********

As I flip through the newspapers and the various TV channels, it's clear that one story is dominating the domestic scene today:

Eurovision 2006, a massive crapfest that pits the various European countries against each other in a battle of bad pop music.

And, believe me, it's all bad. The British contestant is some guy named Daz Sampson. His entry is a loathsome song called "Teenage Life" (Britney-esque schoolgirl-clad dancers perform with him). The lyrics, should you need them, are here. The whole thing sucks. Didn't this country (of which I am a citizen) produce The Beatles and Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton and Sting, Radiohead and Coldplay?

The other contestants are here. Check them out at your own risk (particularly the Finnish satanists).

Update: The list of finalists is here.

Europe must be in a state of more serious civilizational decline than I had previously thought. Honestly, this makes me long for American Idol. (I can't believe I just wrote that, but Eurovision 2006 makes that other crapfest with Simon, Randy, and Paula look like a celebration of musical genius.)

Talk to you soon.

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • My pleasure, and you're welcome!

    By Blogger creature, at 7:16 PM  

  • Eurovision is much better than American Idol!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home