Saturday, February 11, 2006

Israel and anti-Semitism

Jesus' General has an excellent post in response to the charge, common on the right, that criticism of Israel of any kind amounts to anti-Semitism. (Thanks to my friend Mike of Crooks and Liars for pointing this one out to me.)

Check it out.

(I would generally define myself as pro-Israel, but I'm highly critical of Israel's right-wing hardliners, just as I am of Palestinian hard-liners. Neither side encourages peace or does anything to promote it. But surely it's possible to be critical of Israeli policy without being anti-Israel? Surely it's possible to be a friendly critic?)

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • There are no angles in the I-P conflict, but the neocon line is "Israel right or wrong". As my friend Lurch at Main and Central says, "we will defend Israel to the last American".

    By Blogger Fixer, at 6:19 PM  

  • angles = angels

    By Blogger Fixer, at 6:20 PM  

  • Agree, Fixer. In fact, many of the neocons turned from left to right both to protest what they saw as the social excesses of the '60s (especially on university campuses) and in defence of Israel. Back then, perhaps it made some sense. But now many of them are just Israeli apologists who cannot admit that Israel is ever in the wrong. As I mentioned, I do generally support Israel, but that's not to say that Israel is always in the right. There are deep division within Israel itself, after all.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home