Saturday, November 07, 2009

Dems "have the votes" in House; anti-abortion Stupak Amendment passes


The Hill and Politico are reporting that Democrats have the 218 votes necessary to pass the health-care reform bill.

As CNN is reporting, the awful Stupak Amendment passed 240-194 earlier this evening. It "bans federal funds for abortion services in the public option and in the insurance 'exchange' the bill would create." This is the trade-off for securing 218 votes, as it pulls in anti-abortion Dems, but it's a bitter pill to swallow. Lest we forget, after all, abortion is legal, and what this amendment means is that millions of women, most of whom don't have the resources to buy expensive, high-end private insurance, will be cut off from abortion as an option. But who care about the poor and the indigent who will suffer the most from this? Not the Republicans, of course, nor the Democrats who put their anti-abortion fanaticism before the health and well-being of women.

More to follow...

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Millions of families will now have health insurance coverage due to this bill passing the U.S. House. I would have prefered to have a single payer plan but let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Pro-life Democrats were critical to getting health care passed in the House of Representatives. Unfortunately, pro-choice and pro-life zealots have lost all sense of proportion. Pro-choicers should recognize that we have a good bill that helps low income women even if it doesn't fund abortions. Pro-lifers need to recognize that even without the Stupak amendment, greater access to health care would probably result in fewer- not more abortions.

    By Blogger RightDemocrat, at 11:36 AM  

  • I usually don’t leave comments!!! Trust me! But I liked your blog…especially this post! Would you mind terribly if I put up a backlink from my site to your site? Please come visit my site Virginia Beach Community Video Library when you got time. Thanks.

    By Blogger rr8004, at 4:29 AM  

  • I enjoyed reading your work! GREAT post! I looked around for this… but I found you! Anyway, would you mind if I threw up a backlink from my site?
    Please come visit my site Directory Norfolk City when you got time. Thanks.

    By Blogger rr8004, at 4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home