Friday, June 13, 2008

Glennbeckery of the Day (Andy McCarthy edition)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

A couple of months ago, I coined a new word: glennbeckery. Essentially it means "mega-assholery," but what I came to realize was that my use of the word asshole (and related words like assholery) in regards to people like Glenn Beck was insulting to assholes (the real, physiological ones). And so:

* glennbeckery (n.) -- outlandish, ignorant, insensitive idiocy, usually conservative, often partisan Republican. (See also glennbeck, glennbeckism, glennbeckitude.)

**********

Today's Glennbeckery of the Day comes from The Corner's Andy McCarthy (via The Plank) in response to yesterday's SCOTUS ruling on habeas corpus for Gitmo detainees:

I was going out the door this morning when I learned about the Supreme Court ruling — that the American people had lost to radical Islam, 5 to 4.

Apparently, the right -- or at least this particularly un-American glennbeck -- equates the constitutional right not to be detained at the will and mercy of an autocratic government with "radical Islam."

I wonder what Jefferson would say about that.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • First, Glenn Beck is not a republican. Second, read the WSJ's editorial on the case. It is diametrically opposed to the NYT's.

    Finally, maybe during a quiet moment on Father's Day, I, a lawyer (insert joke here), will read Kennedy's opinion, as well as the dissent's. I will then make up my mind, based on the law. Of course, it's only my opinion and hardly the one that counts.

    Let me also say this: I'm a rare thing - a pro-choice Republican. Actually, we're not as rare as people think, but Republican politicians cannot afford to admit it. When I read Roe vs. Wade in law school, I was stunned. For starters, Blackmun's (or his clerk's) writing style was damned near indecipherably boring. But more importantly, it made no sense under the law, at least to me.

    Finally, may I say, rest in peace Tim Russert, absolutely one of the fairest, most objective reporters around. Katie Couric could learn something from people like him.

    By Blogger QueersOnTheRise, at 4:57 PM  

  • First, I never said Beck was a Republican.

    Second, I certainly await your opinion.

    Third, you are indeed a rare thing. Congratulations.

    Fourth, I agree with you about Russert.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home