Thursday, September 28, 2006

Gross story

By Heraclitus

Consider yourself warned by the title. I've noticed, walking down one of the roads to the campus where I teach (there's no sidewalk, so I walk in the road itself), that there have been a few dead animals (a chipmunk and a snake) that seem to have been run over by a vehicle. Accident, or sadistic motorist? Today as I was walking along, I saw a deer in the yard beside the road, probably not thirty feet from me.

By the way, I see deer quite frequently here, in my front yard and along this road. I suppose it helps make up for the fact that central Ohio apparently gets more rainfall than the Amazon River basin. I've tried to go out and feed or even pet some of these deer. I know that's not the way that deer "work"--to use the technologistic metaphor that suggests the natural world is just there to be manipulated by human beings, and shows how deeply sunk in the nihilism of the modern world I am--but since on some days I see more deer than people, you never know.

Anyways, I was walking along, looking at this deer, when suddenly I felt my foot slide along the road beneath me. This was the first time in my life I found myself thinking, "I really hope I just stepped in dog shit." But, alas, it was not dog shit. It was a squished furry thing, and I had parts of its stringy insides dangling off the bottom of my shoe. I think that settles the question of whether these are accidents. Anyways, I wiped off what I could, and hastened to campus, and am now writing this. The plus side--I got to wipe some squirrel viscera on the floor of the bookstore that marks up its office supplies 400%. Now, back to your regularly scheduled blogging.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home