Monday, August 01, 2005

Debating GERD, G-SAVE, and Iraq

It's been a lovely long weekend up here in Toronto -- today is Simcoe Day, a civic holiday -- hence the dearth of new posts over the past couple of days. I'll be back at it later today responding to such irritating and aggravating events as the Bolton recess appointment (when in doubt, circumvent democracy -- this seems to be the lesson, and Bush's pattern), the Palmeiro steroids scandal (deny, deny, deny -- and when the truth comes out?), violence in the Sudan (surprise, surprise, surprise), and the like.

For now, if I may be so self-serving, I'd like to direct your attention to some interesting discussions/debates going on in the comments sections of three recent posts here at The Reaction:
  1. See here: Paul Wells of Macleans (and the great Inkless Wells) has been kind enough, even on holiday, to comment on my recent post on GERD (i.e., Canada's spending on R&D), and he and another commenter, Observer, have been going back and forth on what is a much more serious matter than would, at first glance, seem to be the case.
  2. See here: G-WOT becomes G-SAVE. That is, the re-branding of the war on terror. America's not waging war, she's saving the world. Or so they want us to believe (because, apparently, they think we're stupid). Long-time reader Nate, whose comments are always appreciated even if he thinks he's just speaking to himself and banging his head against the wall, weighs in.
  3. See here: The Iraqi quagmire. Or as Jon Stewart puts it: Mess-o-potamia. What to do about it? When to get out? Marc, Nate, and The Fixer go at it. Plus, a comment from an anonymous reader, part of which I must quote here: "In my 48 years, as an American, as a military brat and as a career serviceman, I've never come close to feeling the way I do today about my government. I am ashamed." Strong words -- but, obviously, from the heart and based on experience that, let's face it, most of us just don't have. I thank him for taking the time to visit The Reaction and for telling us how he feels. Needless to say, Iraq's a complicated issue, and we need to hear from all sides.

Well, that's it for now. Check back later for some new stuff. I hope you all had -- or are still having -- a nice weekend.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home